2019 is Off to a GREAT Start in PM Kindergarten
We have been busy in kindergarten with lots of fun, deeper thinking and more academic challenges that the kids are ready for! I am very proud of all that they have been doing and it is fun to see them growing right before my eyes! Thank you for all the work you do with your child at home as well. I hope you are impressed with the growth in their reading. Every single child in this class has made great progress from where they were in August and we still have months to go in the school year! Thanks for being a partner with me and helping your child soar. We have been setting our reading goals and practicing our Reading Super Powers. The kids are able to recognize which of the strategies they are using to unlock new words. I love their excitement about reading!
Upcoming Important Dates:
Kindness Week at GRE: Feb 11-14
- Legend Wish Week Change Challenge
- Change brought in will support Legend’s Wish Week recipient
- Change will be collected by classroom teachers Monday, February 11th-Thursday, February 14th using baggies provided by Student Council
- Student Council will collect change each afternoon and total each classroom’s donations
- The class who donates the most change throughout the week will earn a Pizza Party
- GRE Spirit Days
- Monday: Team Kindness (Sports Day)
- Tuesday: Kindness Comes in all Colors (Rainbow Day)
- Wednesday: Kindness is Our Superpower (Superhero Day)
- Thursday: Kindness is the Gold Rush Way! (GRE and Legend Day)
- Cram the Cruiser (click here for the flyer)
- Food donations will be collected in the atrium
- All donations will be used to fill backpacks for kids in Parker
- The backpacks are filled with enough food to get kids through the weekends when they do not have access to nutritious meals from school
Thursday, February 14: Valentine's Day (bring your Valentines and a box or bag)
February 15th and 18th- NO SCHOOL for PLC and President's Day
We have been full speed ahead with the idea of addition since we started our second semester. We have been experimenting with number sentences and seeing how parts add up together to make a whole. We use Math Tiles to discover our own number sentences that add up to a specific number. This is a great hands on math activity that lets them visualize the concept of addition. Here is an example of what your kids can do when they begin to see patterns in addition independently!
Happy 100th Day of School!
We celebrated the 100th Day of Kindergarten on Friday, February 1st! SO much fun!
Their 100 collections were awesome and have made our hallway so festive!
We also wrote about being 100 years old. We talked about this for awhile and I did not let anyone share out loud what their response was. I just wanted to see what came into their little minds when they were asked to finish this sentence:
When I am 100 years old I will:
|(have $1,000,000 bucks)|
(yippee and wow!)
|(have hair to my hips)|
|(take care of my kids)|
|(I will be way older)|